Big Print Blog

Why are we calling this blog "Big Print"?

Because we want to shed some light on the small print you see in financial documents. By pulling back the curtain on how a credit card company really works, we can work together to be better.

JenH avatar
Innovation Corner: Barclaycard Ring & Social Media
Barclays Ring Public Blog

This month our Innovation Corner blog will focus on the technologies Barclaycard uses to manage and monitor our social media presence.

Social media has helped businesses create a greater degree of transparency with their customers. Businesses can now engage with their customers on a variety of social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, etc.) to build relationships that are honest, direct and personal. This type of social shift has revolutionized the way consumers choose brand products and the organizations they support.

At Barclaycard Ring, transparency (as you know) is at the heart of who we are. We strive to provide informative and educational topics about financial literacy within the community as well as a build a fair, high quality product for our cardmembers. As such, social media plays a big part in how we inform others about what we’re doing (because, well, it’s pretty awesome!) and it provides us the ability to interact with our cardmembers on the social platforms of their choice.

On a larger scale, Barclaycard also engages with cardmembers on a variety of social platforms and recently launched our social care (a.k.a customer service via social channels) this year as well.

Some of you might be interested in the details of how we manage all of the interactions going on in the cyber world. There’s a lot of chatter out there. So, how are we able to locate the communications that matter the most to our customers?

Our Social Media Care program (of which Barclaycard Ring is an active part) utilizes Conversocial to capture any comments that our customers, or the general public, post on our social assets (ie. our Facebook page, @ mentions for @BarclaycardUS or @AskBCUS or @BarclaycardRing on Twitter, or on the Barclaycard YouTube Channel, etc.). Conversocial highlights comments and monitors for keywords that help us to quickly identify a problem (‘terrible’ ‘awful’ etc.) or other key words (these I like!) ‘terrific’ ‘awesome’ ‘best.’ People within our social media team, myself and others in customer service roles access Conversocial and can directly reply back to the comment right from the online dashboard. Every interaction is archived (something we always need to do in the finance industry). We also make notes on the interaction and select the sentiment of posts (positive, neutral, negative) in order to get an idea of how our social media presence is impacting our relationships with our customers.

So, you might be wondering, what about everywhere else on the web? What if I don’t directly post on your Facebook page? What if I write a blog or make a comment on an online article? How do brands monitor what is going on in a larger landscape? There are many social media listening tools out there. We use a listening tool to monitor external conversations about our brands and products so we can understand the volume of mentions, sentiment and share of voice that we have – which allows us to understand what media influences are saying and, most importantly, what our customers are experiencing with our brands and products.

The Barclaycard Ring team meets with the Barclaycard Social Media team on a weekly basis to analyze data and metrics as well as determine next steps on any questions or issues that may have occurred for making improvements.

As a social media enthusiast, I’m wondering how you, as consumers, use social media to interact with brands? Do you use social media for customer service issues?

0 kudos